It seems that this time of year people are always thinking of travel. There are the spring breakers who are looking to get away for a while and drink entirely too much alcohol. Then, there are those who have the springtime itch (probably those of a demographic a tad bit older). Regardless of who you are, chances are the thought of travel has crossed your mind--I know it has mine. As I was thinking of travel and how expensive airplane tickets can be a thought crossed my mind.
Airlines got it right.
We all have baggage.
Some just have more than others.
When on vacation, people want to look their best and feel their best, which can lead to lots of extra packing--you know, just in case. However, this can lead to extra baggage. So, in addition to all the other reasons, airlines have started charging for all the extra baggage.
At first I was a bit put off by this. Why shouldn't people get to pack what they want whenever they travel? But then it hit me. This really makes sense. They airlines were right all along. Why would they want your extra baggage? In the long run all of that extra baggage can be quite costly.
*Epiphany*
There's something to this. There is really something to this. Who really wants the excess baggage of someone else? Like I said, it can be quite costly. While I admit that everyone has baggage, there are some who have more than others. So, if we can agree that the less the baggage the better, why is it that if you have less baggage there has to be something wrong with you?
Living in the Midwest, there seems to be an equation for life. If you don't follow this equation you cannot understand other people and they cannot understand you--that's just the way it is. Don't argue with it. However, with the divorce rate being 50% it would seem that this equation DOESN'T WORK. Interestingly, 37% of these first marriage divorces come from people who are between 20-24. So, it would stand to reason that if you were married between the ages of 20 and 24 your chances of survival are slim. Sad, but true. Obviously this creates baggage. So, if someone doesn't follow this equation and therefore doesn't have as much excess baggage, does that make them wrong?
I think that makes them smart. Perhaps that makes them concerned or conservative and maybe they don't want to be like everyone else, but it certainly doesn't make them wrong.
I don't fit this equation and therefore people often look at me like a leper. I am not a leper; I don't want to make the wrong choice. I don't want to carry around a lot of excess baggage. Imagine the last time you took too many suitcases and carryons with you and had to maneuver them throughout the airport. It wasn't easy, was it? So, it is obvious that nobody wants your excess baggage, the airlines don't want it, the baggage handlers don't want it, I don't want it, you don't want it, and I am certain any other person in your future doesn't want it.
So, please understand that because my life is NOT like everyone else's and I don't fit the equation of the must-have-life of the Midwest does not make me wrong. It doesn't not make me a leper. It simply means I am packing light.
No comments:
Post a Comment