Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gratitude

I have been struggling a lot with gratitude. It is amazing what two little words can mean. I truly believe that "thank you" holds more meaning than "I love you." How can these words be so hard to say? I have been harboring anger for the lack of gratitude I see. I know works should not be done for thank yous, but for the sake of goodness, but it seems like those two words hold payment. Obviously they don't. However, gratitude is something we can all practice.

Ironically when I struggle with such things it seems that people want to show me platitudes--like those ridiculous signs posted all over offices that say awesome things like "everything is in your reach--just believe and it will be." Ok, well we all know that is not true, but we say these things to attemt to make people feel better. These things do not make me feel better. They make me feel bitter.

Today I worked to realize that people perhaps show gratitude in different ways. Maybe they don't. Either way, I have a choice to make. I can sit alone and be bitterly angry, or I can realize that shit happens, sometimes we are self-absorbed, things hurt, and move on.

The choice is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment