Wednesday, February 17, 2010

PositiveLy

Have you ever noticed that when things are not going well for people they tend to write a lot to complain? Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the therapeutic value of writing--I am a writing teacher after all. However, we don't necessarily stop to write about the things that are good in our lives. I know that we cannot change things that happen to us. We cannot control fate, destiny, or ka if you like.

Enter the Serenity Prayer.

Though we cannot control some things in our lives (ie other people), we can control ourselves. We can control how we act and how we respond. We can either wallow in self-pity and denial or we can take stock in the good things and be positive about all the good in our lives. So, the purpose of this blog is to name some of the positive things in my life, the things I have to be thankful for.

So, here goes:

*I have an incredible family. They mean the world to me and I couldn't be more blessed to have them in my life.

*I have good friends. Sometimes people come in and out of our lives and each one of them fulfills a purpose. Some of them stay around a little longer than others, but I am blessed by the fact that I have lots of people who care about me and about my life.

*I have a job. While I realize that sometimes I complain about my job, I am very blessed to have one. I am sure that there are other people who would like to have mine. So, I am thankful that I have income.

*Stability. I am able to take care of myself and my needs. I am thankful for my abilities.

*Education. I value my education. It is something that wasn't always easy, but something that I am very glad to have. I learned more about myself, the world, history, etc. than I could ever really explain. I am also blessed to have had parents that volunteered to pay for my education.

*Knowledge. My quest in life has always been for knowledge. And, I think I now realize that the things in my life that change only further my knowledge and experiences of my life. Every day I grow as does my knowledge.

This is only the beginning of a list that could go on forever. But, like I said, I cannot change some things in my life, but I can change my attitude and pour myself into the place I am now. I am in this season of my life for a reason, and though it has been a rainy season, I have learned much from it. So, since I cannot change certain things, I can change me.

So, today . . . and hopefully tomorrow I am thinking positiveLy.

No comments:

Post a Comment